well, we all know how hard it is coming into the last week before an ironman race!
the training volume declines and sometimes our body feels more tired than into a full training load period!
nonetheless it's very important to keep calm, to accept this feelings and to be confident! after years and years of racing for me it's not a problem anymore, I know that resting will lead up to a good performance on race day, but I want to share with you some crucial points of the taper week:
- first of all try to sleep a lot, even a 20 minute nap can be very helpful
- eat healthy and the last 3 days before the race increase the carbs intake
- don't forget to accompany your carboload with fluid intake, drink more if you are racing in hot conditions and drink also electrolytes, not only water
- keep your immune system strong, as disturbances lead to a drop of performance
- keep on moving with short workouts, include a few short interval at your ironman race pace
- don't walk around for hours and hours at the race expo, feet up is the better option
- take a rest day two days before the race
- include 1 or 2 short sessions the day before the race to wake up your muscular and nervous system
well, of course I know that this points are well-known by all of us, but to adapt Goethe...."it's not enough to know, we must apply. it's not enough to want, we must do it" :-)